What is .msg file extension?
The .msg files are emails created or saved using Outlook, which is a popular email program from Microsoft. .msg files are text files and are commonly referred as Outlook Mail Message files.
In addition to the body of the email message, the .msg files also store the following information:
- name of the sender
- name(s) of recipient
- subject of the email
- date on which the email was sent
How to manually create an .msg file?
You can save an email message you sent or received as an .msg file. To achieve this, perform the following steps:
- Open Outlook.
- Next, open the email message you want to save as an .msg file on your computer.
- Now, click the File menu and then select Save As.
- Select the location where you want to save the file.
- Type a name for the file.
- In the Save as Type drop-down box, select Outlook Message Format.
- Click the Save button.
Name of the program(s) that can open an .msg file
If you use Windows, you may open an .msg file using any of the following applications:
- Microsoft Outlook
- Encryptomatic MsgViewer Pro
- Pirasoft MSG File Viewer and Assessor
If you use Macintosh, you may open an .msg file using any of the following application:
- 45 RPM Software MailRaider
Name of other file types that are recorded using the .msg file extension
Other file types recorded using the .msg file extension are:
- Pegasus Mail Queued Message
- PMMail 2000 E-mail Message File
- PMMail/2 E-Mail Message File
- OS/2 Help Message File
- TAPCIS Captured Messages
- OzWin CompuServe E-mail/Forum Access Message File
- MeSsage Text
- FoxDoc Message
Unable to open an Outlook Mail Message (.msg) file with Microsoft Outlook ? what should I do?
If one or more file openers on your Windows system are damaged or corrupt then you may not be able to open certain files. To fix the issue you may use FileCure, a program that quickly fixes damaged file openers, providing users quick access to their files.