.xlr File Extension – An Introduction
Files with the .xlr file extension are used for spreadsheets created using Microsoft Works, which is an office suite similar to Microsoft Office suite. Microsoft Works suite is cheaper than Microsoft Office and constitutes of Microsoft Works Word Processor, Works Database, and the Works Spreadsheet applications.
.xlr files which are used by users to store and represent numerical data are generally used for business planning, scientific research, or accountancy.
How do I open an .xlr file using Microsoft Works?
If Microsoft Works is installed on your computer then all you need to do to open an .xlr file is just double-click on it; Microsoft Works will open the content of the file automatically.
Which programs can be used to open .xlr files?
To open an .xlr file in Windows, you can use any of the following applications:
- Microsoft Works
- Microsoft Excel 2007
To open an .xlr file in Mac OS, you can use the following program:
- Microsoft Excel 2008
Can I import an .xlr file into Microsoft Excel?
Yes, you can. XLR files are known to be fully importable to Microsoft Excel.
Can I import an excel file into Microsoft Works?
Yes, you can, but there is a catch. Excel files are not 100% compatible with Microsoft Works. This means that you may lose certain cell properties or data characteristics when you import an excel file to Microsoft Works.
Steps to convert an XLR file to a PDF file
In the steps discussed below, we have assumed the following:
- Microsoft Works is installed on your computer (if not then you require a third-party file converter to convert XLR to PDF).
- Adobe Acrobat is installed on your computer (if not then you require a third-party file converter to convert XLR to PDF).
- Microsoft Word is not installed on your computer (Microsoft Works is known to conflict with Microsoft Word and you may be unable to convert XLR file to PDF if Microsoft Word is also installed on your computer).
To convert an XLR file to PDF file, perform the following steps:
- Double-click on the .xlr file you wish to covert to pdf.
- Click the File menu, click Print, select Adobe PDF from the Name drop down menu, and then click OK.
- In the next dialog box, select the location and name of the file and save it.
How to resolve issues with damaged .xls files?
If you are receiving a file type error when you try to open an .xlr file then it is recommended that you seek services of a reliable file repair program, such as FileCure to repair the file. FileCure will not only help you fix the damaged file, but will also enable you to open it if you don’t have the supported software installed on your computer.