.cwk File extension – An Introduction
.cwk files are associated with the AppleWorks productivity suite. These files were initially created by Apple’s ClarisWorks. The name ClarisWorks was changed to AppleWorks after Apple acquired Claris Corporation.
.cwk files come under the data files category and can be a word processing document, drawing, presentation, or spreadsheet.
Which programs can be used to open a .cwk file extension file?
If you use Macintosh OS, use following programs to open .cwk files:
If you use Windows, use following programs to open .cwk files:
Can a .cwk document be opened with Microsoft Word?
No, Microsoft Word cannot read .cwk files. However, one can easily convert a .cwk file into a DOC file. Listed below are the steps that you need to follow in order to convert a .cwk file to a DOC file.
Steps to convert a .cwk file to a DOC file
- Launch AppleClarisWorks or AppleWorks on your Windows computer and open the .cwk file.
- Next, click the File menu of the .cwk file and then click Save As.
- In the Save as type drop-down menu, select Word Document and click Save.
Can one open .cwk files in different applications of iWork productivity suite?
Yes, you can. Apple launched the iWork productivity suite to replace AppleWorks. iWork productivity suite constitutes different applications, namely Pages (word processor), Numbers (spreadsheet), and Keynote (presentation). Each of these applications can be used to open the related .cwk document. For instance, if you want to open a .cwk word processing document, then open the file in Pages. Similarly, if you want to open a spreadsheet document with the .cwk file extension, use Numbers, or if you want to open a .cwk presentation document, use Keynote.
In case you want to do away with AppleWorks and instead plan to use iWork productivity suite, you will be well advised to convert your painting/drawing and database files into a universal format for ease of use in the future. Doing this is quite easy, just follow the steps listed below:
- Open the iWork application, such as Keynote, Numbers, or Pages.
- Click the File menu and then click Open.
- Open the Appleworks document that corresponds to the iWork application that you launched (word-processing document opens in Pages, presentation in Keynote, and spreadsheet in Numbers.)
- Click the File menu again and select Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, provide a new name for the file, select the location where you want to save the file and then click the Save button.
The iWork application automatically saves the document in the converted file format on your computer and you can use this approach to covert all your AppleWorks (.cwk) files into a universal file format.
I’m receiving a file type error when I try to open a .cwk file – what are my options?
If you are receiving a file type error when you attempt to open a .cwk file, we recommend you seek the help of a reliable file repair program. These programs are designed to fix issues with different types of files and then open them.